Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Medical School Rejection Collection


6 down. . .9 to go! I have successfully been rejected by 4 schools, and failed to complete 2 applications. It is at this point, being that it is already February, that I am getting quite nervous. If I don't make it this time around, I will try one more time. I know there are things I can improve upon, and after a second attempt, I would suppose that it is not meant to be. I worry that if it's that hard to get in, could I pass the boards? Knowing me I'd be too damn stubborn to just give up. I'd probably find a way. However, my home state (where I grew up) did reject me - that was a bit of a shock.

Humor - Ohio State sent me an application form for scholarships, which is rather funny since I've not been asked for an interview. Sigh. . .

In an attempt to not be out of touch while I'm dwelling in the world of pharmaceuticals, I will be volunteering at a local hospital doing palliative care. It sounds really interesting - I'll be going to a family's home and helping them while their family member either finishes treatment and gets better or passes away. I thought it would be a great way to help me learn empathy - which is something people often complain about doctors lacking.

Critter news - I got two baby rats to add to the pack. The one had pneumonia, but with a good vet and our own enginuity, he has recovered (he had less than a 50% chance of surviving). Baby food is the key! It has enough water to keep the little one hydrated, and it takes almost no effort to consume. Emmett highly recommends the peas.

1 comment:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

The scholarship info is a good sign. Call them and say you think you only got part of their message.

I've done palliative care! That is really an excellent field. I have never done anything so rewarding. I was a nurses' assistant in an extended care facility.

I don't think that the comments about doctors lacking compassion are fair. I hate it when people whine about fairness-- but I will whine. People want to have their hands held and don't get it, or they misinterpret something. You are a doctor, not a fucking therapist and even therapists have to have boundaries.

When my father was dying, his doctor at the hospital and i were talking in the hallway and he said, "Forgive me in advance if I seem uncaring, but tomorrow I expect to see your father for the last time. It is hard on me but I am not one who likes good byes and you father was a great guy. I will probably seem dry because i have to go see my next patient." Well, he does palliative care. He'd be a downer. His telling me in advance how it would be helped.

Patients feel vulnerable whenever they go in to see a doctor. our bodies are sacred. To you we are something to be fixed-- to me, you are going into the sacred places of my body. I met a doctor who knows this and figured out that I've had trauma and mentioned it and how I was reacting to him. This guy is the education doctor-- he alleviates my issues by telling me what he will do before he does them. There are no surprises. If he sends me for a test, it's never "wait and see" but, "If it's below X, we do Z, if it's above X we will do Y. I expect. . ."

Remember that someone will always complain. Consider it and decide if you need to change it. Sometimes they need to complain, other times you may have messed up. I think your heart is in the right place. You will be soon, too!