Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

A New Beginning


One week in, and so far, it's wonderful. Having gone to an utterly mediocre undergraduate institution with a great chemistry program, I certainly can appreciate my awesome professors at med-school. Though I've only been here a week, I can see that I am truly fortunate to be going to such a great school. The professors are organized, intelligent, professionally dressed, and utterly devoted to our success. The school as a whole is extremely well organized.

I'm unprepared for the future. So far, biochemistry has been a review. I am feeling confident and competent. That will change in the next few days as I begin anatomy, cytology, and histology.

The real "arrival" moment was meeting our cadavers. I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I think anatomy is absolutely fascinating, and now I'll have the chance to really see it and study it. I'm sure that will also involve a lot of cursing and crying - I'm not that jaded. I've written a poem for my cadaver. It's not brilliant, but I felt it, and I meant it, so here it is -

A Grandmotherly expression
chubby - with happy smile-lines
I can imagine you
baking a pie
You have intelligent eyes
I can see that
though they are closed
You are short and possibly Asian
You have large breasts
I wonder who loved them
You look loved
-nice skin, pretty silver hair
And here you are
giving everything that's left
of your physical self
to me
I will remember that
and I will love you

At this point in my extremely nascent medical career I am very happy and content. I love learning new things. I love complexity, and I have this amazingly supportive extended family (classmates) with whom to share this journey. I hope this feeling can be kept when things get tough.

1 comment:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

One of my kinesiology/dance teachers told us about ordering a skeleton and putting it together and thinking, "So this is what this bone looks like!" and, "This is how these fit together." They studied off that skeleton for two years. She went to another school to teach and was fascinated by how different the bones were and she saw how unique we all are and as a devout practicer of her Jewish ;) faith, Psalm 139:14 became her motto as she worked with people and animals and everyone and everything.

You see what many do not see. I am worried that medicine will jade you for your own protection. Remember now how you feel and don't forget to go back to it!