Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I am so sick of me


An update for those brave and steadfast souls who have kept up with my blog.

I have made it through two rounds of cuts to all of the MD schools to which I have applied. This makes me happy. However, I have still not heard back for any interviews. I'm getting very nervous and anxious. I am now finishing up DO applications, and the tough part is still talking about myself with any enthusiasm and wit. I am so sick of writing essays about myself. In 21 schools I have only been able to use the same essay once, and some schools ask for multiple essays on various topics. What did they do - get together and make sure there were no duplicates to discourage applicants from applying to 99 schools? Unless one is the child of divorced and remarried surgeons (lots of child support) and has the CEO of Google for an uncle, no one could afford to do such a thing.

Let's talk about something that doesn't raise my blood-pressure. . .

Happy story - My rat had surgery this week for a tumor, and he is recovering very well. He is lively and ritten-like. The biopsy (yes, I really did pay for this) came back as a deep dermal fibroma. This is a glorified term for "collagen mess." If you are reading this with a raised eyebrow you don't understand the wonderfulness of rat ownership. He is absolutely precious.

Happy and expensive story - After bringing home my rat my cat gets deathly ill. The cat started vomiting violently with bouts of explosive diarrhea. The poor thing just laid in a ball and didn't move. This cat is not the lay-in-a-ball type; he is extremely active. When he started hiding in the closet I knew something was wrong. After blood-work, rehydration, anti-vomiting medication, and special food he is fine. The doctor thinks it was some sort of hepatitis, but I think it was more benign than that. I think the cat had a bout of the flu and just needed rehydration. I was a bit alarmed it the high (yes, for cats) levels of glucose in his blood after having not eaten for 24 hours. Hopefully this will not yield more serious problems.

Another happy (and disturbing) story - My brother and his wife are on their second set of twins in under two years. What are they thinking?

Specialty of the week - I want to be a pediatric neurosurgeon. That sounds amazing!

The photo is of my rat. His precious little self is Christopher.

PS If you are my uncle, and you are rich, please send checks to. . .

3 comments:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

I wish I could be your Uncle Tea. . . I would help you. But you'd have to come to Alaska afterwards and then be our only pediatric neurosurgeon up here. Check out halfmd-- I like this guy. http://halfmd.wordpress.com/ He wrote an article on how to turn down an interview. You will be writing plenty of turn-downs soon!

Good luck to your brother. Twins would come for my and I'd have been done. I need at least 50 weeks between children! However-- may God grant your sil an easy pregnancy and many helping hands after they arrive!

lights n steel said...

Glad to hear that your little guy didn't have something bad! I completely understand about spending money on pets; I just spent $3,000 on anesthesia, dental x-rays, and teeth extractions for my cat.

Thanks for coming over to my blog. Try not to lose heart; getting into medical school is arguably the hardest part. I had to try twice!

Unknown said...

Phew, I wish I could put up a post tonight, but alas, my writing needs to be for DO schools. I was talking with a friend today who got a grand total of 3 interviews with a 34 on his MCAT! I'm feeling a bit depressed. However, his GPA was pretty poor, and he is. . .well. . . not very motivated about anything. I need divine intervention!