Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sigh


So it's the middle and January and still no interviews. I'm getting depressed. I keep getting emails saying that I've made it into yet another smaller pool of applicants, however, the next email could be my rejection letter.

I'm on my last application, and it's taking me forever to finish it. I hate the questions - I just want to give up when I look at it. One question is about why the admission committee should accept me. What the hell am I supposed to say?! Because I rock? Should I write a philosophical treatise? What about a weepy triumph story? I can write a lofty piece of poo - I've got the background. However, if I write said lofty piece of poo - then I sound like a bragger. I hate this! I just know that the scatological little demon with the 34 MCAT is going to get in ahead of me. I know such demons - I certainly wouldn't want them for my doctor. One is a smoking, drinking, drug user. Agh. I wish they (those ethereal admissions ghosts) could figure out a better system of finding the right people.

I've got it! It's like music. There are those that are talented, never work, and eventually fail for one reason or another. Those that work hard and make it, though usually with reoccurring bouts of suicidal depression, and those that are super-talented and hard working. The later category is ideal but rare. So, if there aren't enough of these to fill the need where to turn? The hard workers. That's me. I'm pretty smart, but I certainly have had to study, and I'd like to think that I'm relatively well-adjusted.

Today I worked at the Red Cross serving lunch. I enjoyed the people. The lunchers were very gracious, and it was nice to give them the chance to be in control of something, even if it's just, "I want a lot of cream and sugar." I've known some of the attendees - I used to live in a rougher part of town. It was interesting to see the transformation. The druggies, beggars, drunks, etc. were pretty put-together. I saw in that moment that these people didn't choose their problems, but they can't seem to cut-and-run either. It's good that we could be there to at least give them a tasty and nutritious meal. I'll have to think about this some more.

On an unrelated topic - is it sick and wrong that I'd like to dissect a dog? The kind from a catalogue that come dead and preserved. I'm not that sick. I think it would be really fascinating. This coming from the animal loving woman who seeks out free-range, organic, kosher chicken. I don't understand me either.

Today's Hebrew lesson -
Mah schlomcha/schlomech? (m/f) How are you?
Schlomi tov meod. I am well. Todah. Thank you.

Today's Latin humor -
Coniecturalem artem esse medicinam - Medicine is the art of guessing.

Time to go read my new medical history book. I'm excited. On Tuesday I'm shadowing a pediatric neurosurgeon - that's even more exciting.

The photo is of psalm 106

Oy and phew.

4 comments:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

They will not reject you. They are savoring the moment when they will meet you face to face! "YES! We get to meet ANNE!"

Do you ever read 9 Chickweed Lane? It's a great comic strip. You'll see the link if you google it. There is a prof in there named Julliete who is pretty cool. You will like her. I started wearing underwear with animal prints after reading her. My kids made the association of me and her years ago before I got the underwear. My husband is more like a combination of Amos and the Old Fart than Eliot though.

Your essay sounds great. I think you medical students have to turn into performance monkeys to get in. What is keeping you from saying, "Screw it!" and moving on? That is when you will get the dozen interview requests.

I am developing a fascination with drawing real bones-- nothing twisted, I just find it fascinating to hold them and see where tissue connected, to feel the weight. It's how things are put together. If the university of Washington is fortunate to accept you, I will go over and while you dissect things, I will rapidly sketch what you are doing. One of my OBs was Jewish and he said that when you start to understand how everything is connected, you develop a greater and deeper appreciation for G-d.

Unknown said...

Today I got a fortune cookie that said, "You will receive a miracle soon." Hmmm. . .but you're right - there is nothing to do but wait, and in the meantime, I'm keeping myself extremely busy.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

Longfellow would be proud-- you are 'learning to labor and to wait!'

You getting accepted will not be a miracle. You will be an asset to the schools you accept.

Sid Schwab said...

Haven't, sadly, been by in a while. From across cyberspace, my impression of you is that you're exactly what med schools are (or ought to be) looking for. So be of good faith. If the world makes any sense at all, it will happen.