Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008


I had my first interview one week ago. If life wasn't confusing enough - I loved it! I absolutely loved it. However, the town is tiny. I have no problem with that, in fact, I think I would really enjoy living there. Besides, there is a very nice coffee shop - I need nothing more.

So what's the problem? Absolutely no Jewish life. None. The nearest synagogue is one hour away, and it's one of those Reform, part Buddhist, part Unitarian, part "who needs rules?" kind of places. Not my thing. The next nearest synagogue is a mere three hours away. I have a meeting tomorrow with my Rabbi to discuss this.

I think I could survive two years there and then move to a more Jewish place for clerkships. I think the school would be great, minus some of the manipulative medicine stuff, which sounds like expensive chiropracy or massage. Perhaps I will change my mind.

Look at me! I should say, perhaps I will change my mind if I'm accepted. Still no word from a few Ohio schools, a few DO schools, and one school in New York. Maybe I will get a miracle.

I guess if I want this badly enough (and I do), and I care about Judaism enough (which I do) I'll find a way to make it work.

Oh, and I did wear my kerchief to interview. I hope that wasn't a bad idea. Personally, I thought I looked lovely and very professional.

The picture is of a giant Indonesian rat that was found in the jungle. It's the largest on record. Personally, I think it's beautiful. I hope they let it live. I'll look into that. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also thought you looked lovely and professional, and that you carried yourself like a sharp, serious, focused future doctor, and the standout of the group. But what do I know?

Tea N. Crumpet said...

I wear my kerchiefs all the time now-- they are actually really nice, are they not? I bought a bunch for me and my daughters from Headcoverings by Devorah (the link is at my site.) I feel exposed without them!

I am so excited that you went. You know, I am Russian Orthodox. I happen to be in a place where there are many of us, but you keep living and keep practicing wherever you are. There are probably several at that Synachuratemple place that want to get more conservative, but they ended up there like you may be. Is your husband Jewish, too? Would he be interested in getting something started? Great things start small with just two people! This could be a place that is praying for others who worship as they do.

I'm so happy that you liked the interview. You are a person who takes the proverbial bull by the proverbial horns and tames it!

Some of that massage-energy stuff actually works. I have a massage therapist who does this on me, but she also tells me what my body is doing. I think that cognitively puts me in the mental set of relaxing and allowing my body to get better. You are thinking of brain surgery-- God willing-- haha-- G-d willing, you will be keen on your intuition which women have a heightened sense of. Your patients will have to be relaxed to tell you things.

One of my OBs (he's Jewish) teased me in an early labor, "You can't handle the drugs I need to give you to stop this because they will make you paranoid and you'll have every nurse on this floor mad at me! Use your psychic yoga tricks to stop it, just like you've done to speed up your labors so you'd be able to eat lunch!" I did-- I relaxed and held his hand and breathed and he turned on the heart monitor so I could hear myself slow down while he told me what parts of my body had to relax. He wasn't a biofeedback expert, but he knew how to help me. Be aware of this stuff.

Anyway-- this note is crazy. I am excited for the school that brings you in-- and the Jewish community that only stands to grow! Medicine has everything to gain by accepting you!

Unknown said...

Tea - I love Devorah. You should also check-out Tznius.com. I know those both cater to Jews, but they make great stuff. I used to really like Wendy's Modest Dress, but she's stopped working. I know there are a lot of Christian ones out there.

I went to a Russian Orthodox church in New York when we were learning about Mstislav Rostropovich. The music was gorgeous.