Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

I'm Going to be a Doctor!


Finally, the wait is over. The dread is over. The exhaustion and worry and absolute nirvana is over. I'm in! I will be attending a great DO school somewhere in the south-ish. Yes, it's the one I liked. Phew - I don't have to find money to fly to California.

It hasn't quite settled on me yet. I'm in a state of shock and confusion. Is it real? Did someone finally notice me? Yes, they did. Instead of starting on my path to wellness, I ate fettuccine alfredo. Perhaps a good rock climbing date is in my future.

On an unrelated note - I wrote to Conservation International about the giant rat - that's who did the research. So far they have not returned my email. Being about conservation, I would hope they left the critter alone. They damn well better not have put it in any sort of cage or zoo or lab!

I started my new position at work. Oh it's so much better. I make buffers and solutions for cells and tissues in our pharmaceutical work. My husband is convinced that they will move me through every position so I can tweak it into submission. I am absolutely anti-bullshit. I do my work in the fastest and most accurate way possible with no frills. I don't wait for someone to tell me how it's going to be - I fix it and let them tell me it was a good idea. I'm not a jerk about it. I'm not pushy or rude, but when I'm absolutely certain that something can be done better, I do it and wait for management to decide that I had a good idea. So far my work has been great. They are happy and the results are good. No more endless stacks of paperwork! I have been handed some really good fortune lately. Now if someone would just buy my house. It's really nice, just come and take a look. . .

I need to figure out how to pay for medical school and the possibility of a family somewhere during my medical school years. I'm not getting younger or more fertile. Instead of fretting and losing sleep - I will just let the chips fall and pick up any that roll under the couch.

PS: I have never gambled on any day other than Purim.

7 comments:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

Blessed Purim and congratulations on the doctorhood! Will you keep this blog? Please do!

Unknown said...

I will indeed - it will need some changes. It is therapy in a little black box.

Bongi said...

congrats. Who or what is purim?

Unknown said...

Purim is when we read the book of Esther. It's a celebration of being saved from persecution. It's the one holiday where one is commanded to drink. Pretty sweet, huh? We can also gamble (but not for profit). It's basically an evening for craziness.

Anonymous said...

Did you find that the application for DO schools was much different? I am thinking of applying to a number and was wondering if you had any advice. Thanks!
-sofia

Unknown said...

The general application - the AACOMAS - is very much the same as the AMCAS. The individual schools differ in what they want for a secondary. Some schools want virtually no additional information, and some want tons of essays.

Be prepared to get tired of talking about yourself. It requires a huge amount of self reflection, and it's a great time to make sure you really want to do this. The application process will take a lot out of you. Best of luck to you. Let me know how it goes, and feel free to ask me any other questions you have.

Advice? No matter how unimportant it may feel - talk about yourself. Let them understand why you are a good addition to the field. We have all tried to make our resumes look good. They need to know what makes you interesting and able.

DC Med Student said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!