Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Endless Wonderings of the Brain


I wonder if I am alone in my media-created caricature of John Kerry-like thinking. By this I mean I am the ultimate "flip-flopper." I all too often change my mind. I've been thinking about religion lately, as my husband expressed concern over converting to Judaism. They (my in-laws) are conservative Baptist types, who may very well disown us if we convert. I also don't know if it's right to chuck my upbringing out the window in favor of what I see as a more fulfilling religion. Fulfilling in the sense that a lot of Judaism has to do with bettering oneself and the world for future generations. This, of course, is a gross over-simplification. There are many upsetting and I dare say even wrong tenets of Judaism.

I like my "old-faithful" - atheism. However, that is so empty. How would I feel on my death-bed? Well, this is it - good-bye world! Not very satisfying. No one to receive my prayers, hopes, sorrows, and thanks? But really it's true. We laugh at witchcraft and the Norse gods, but look at us - we're no better. It's comforting, but so stupid that it's laughable too. Why would there be or have ever been a divine creator who put "man" here as the pinnacle of creation. How utterly arrogant to assume we are the best that this god could do. We are barbarians. We are selfish. We use circular logic that redefined as faith seems okay.

Certainly there are things we cannot explain. However, god does not stand up to scrutiny either.

One thing I know for certain - coffee is good.

3 comments:

Leaf, Branch, Bark & Root said...

Hang on to what you believe is true and worth protecting. There is a huge difference between faith and 'blind faith.'

I have faith in my friends, but I know they're fallible. So am I.

Personally, I wish I could believe in a comforting omniscient being with a grand plan, but I haven't experienced anything that convinces me. In the face of fear and self-doubt, 'G_d' can be very comforting. But it takes more courage to face uncertainty without that crutch. It's not pride or hubris, just the realization that what we have accomplished, or will accomplish, isn't by 'the grace of G_d' but by our hands, thoughts and determination, for better or worse.

The world is amazing and complex. Things happen which we haven't yet been able to comprehend or explain, but that is not evidence of deity. It's the nature of an immense universe where there are almost infinite possibilities. I think that's pretty cool.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

Are you not born Jewish? I thought that you were!

My in-laws are also conservative Baptists-- they wigged when we converted to Orthodox Christianity. They got over it.

Unknown said...

No - I'm not Jewish by birth. Some of my extended family is Jewish, and I grew up in a large Jewish community where I took care of the rabbi's children. I'll wait until the dust settles, then I'll make a decision.