Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Beloved Rattie


This past Tuesday my heart was broken. I went downstairs to feed the little rattie beasties, and my Christopher did not come up to greet me. I prayed that his hearing had deteriorated further, and he just hadn't heard me. Sadly, I found him curled up in his purple house, no longer in this world.

He was still warm and soft. His eyes were still glistening black. Thank G_d I found him this way. I've been thanking G_d everyday. My precious critter was gone, my highest hopes for his death were realized. He died a healthy, old rat, presumably in his sleep, and I got to hold him soon thereafter. My only regret is that I hadn't really played with him in the past couple of days. Of course I loved on him, but not "this is your half-hour with Mom."

Some may say it's silly to love such a pet. He was only a rat. However, he was so much more to me. I'd never had a companion that showed so much love and patience. He was playful and smart. He was gentle and so loving. He let me kiss him like crazy and scruff up his little bit of fur (he was almost bald).

For nearly three years I got to enjoy his precious self, and for that I am truly grateful. I can only hope and pray that he knew, in his little rattie brain, how much I adored him.

You meant so much to me, Christopher. May you rest peacefully knowing that you were such a joy. B'shalom, little beast.

3 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Sorry for your loss.

Jason Fruit said...

I've been with Christopher when he was with you, and when he was with only me; I can say without a doubt that he knew he was loved. He was a good little rattie, and I feel privileged to have spent most of his life with him.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

I'm so sad for poor rattie! I think they know-- if animals were only about instinct, they wouldn't care when we are down and try to cheer us up.