Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Art of Wooing


I learned today that to be a success as an underdog in a big company is to schmooze. I was so nice to Dr. Whiner and to Dr. "Oh my God, this is a catastrophe," and Dr. "I want micro-molar written with Greek letters" and Dr. "Yeah Man, that's great." How was I able to accomplish such a feet? The MP3 player. What a brilliant and wonderful invention. I could put on my sweet tunes and drown everything out until the next Dr. so and so wanted my undivided attention. I was far more receptive, because I was calm and happy. I should do an info-mercial.

I never did have my beer then. I ran out of time. Maybe tonight after I study. I really need to do that - study that is. Thankfully, my friend super-bright and his friends are getting together for a biochemistry-fest. You see, my teacher tried too many of the chemicals he was working with in the 60's and 70's, and now has limited brains. I asked him a question about pKa values, and he went on some cryptic adventure into never-never land. I am fluent in English, and I had no idea what he was saying. It would be funnier if I didn't have to get a grade in this class. I really like the subject, he's just so useless.

My toe is healing nicely. I once removed a skin tag with sterilized nail trimmers. It never came back and I had no infection from it. I guess I believe in doing things myself. Once I bought a rocky-mountain oyster to dissect, and was totally disappointed to find that the "oyster" was not included. I was so disappointed. However, I did learn how to cut between blood vessels, and predict where the underlying ones were so as not to cause bleeding. I have no idea how useful this might have been, but I really enjoyed it. I also got some chicken's feet and took them apart layer by layer. I had no idea that there were that many ligaments and tendons in a foot.

To stick to the subject of wooing - did you know that rats are absolutely precious? My rat is so adorable. I love him so much. He's like a little bag of love. Okay, he's like a big blob of silly putty, but that's beside the point. I discovered that he needed more protein. His skin has always been a problem - he has an immune deficiency, but the other day I gave him a chicken bone and his skin looked so much better the next day. The little one will be getting more protein from now on.
I played an opera last week in Pennsylvania. That was pretty cool. We took it to a small town where the people just loved it. I don't imagine they got to hear that sort of thing very often. I also found a yummy coffeehouse out there in the middle of nowhere.

All right, I digress again and again. I need to go study. So, how have you been?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah . . . bad teachers would be funnier if they didn't have the power of the grading pen. And music hath charms to drown out the whining beast. Great post!

Tea N. Crumpet said...

In Alaska we are in the final days of autumn. I was supposed to study but the air was crisp and we went on a walk, my six youngest (11, 9, 8, 7, 4, 2 and just about 2) and my husband and I. (Good choice, by the way!) I thought of you-- you'd have appreciated the music we created with laughing and yelling and throwing a football as we walked to the near-by school. The two year old was in her stroller and occasionally yelled at us so someone would hand the football to her and she'd kiss it and give it back!

My post at my blog was happy and full of spelling errors, but that's OK!

I am going to take the kids to see the symphony this year. We have never been able to afford it but we will will do it anyway. They have been playing Gershwin at night and I think they will be awed by the sound in person.

Unknown said...

I wish you lived here. I could get my friends to pool their student resources ($5 tickets) and get you all in for super-cheap. The Cleveland orchestra is definitely something to hear at least once in one's lifetime.

Jason - so true, but then again, we agree on so many things. :)

Tea N. Crumpet said...

Now that you say that-- I'm a student! I can get cheap tickets!

I love your blog-- you give me great ideas. I was actually thinking that with the next check I'd go to the ticket counter and just get them, never thinking of the Student Center.