Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

But You're not a Princess. . .


I'm Jewish. I dress like a Jew. I talk like a Jew. I do Jewish things. I celebrate the holidays. I go to synagogue. I keep kosher. I'm learning Hebrew. I don't understand Orthodox Jews. . .

My husband and I go out to kosher restaurants occasionally, and we can't help but be both amazed and disgusted by the piles of orthodox Jewish kids and their princess mothers who let them act like little monsters. It doesn't make for a nice, relaxing meal. The fathers, if they're there, are gruff and unhappy.

It's nice that they want to replace 6 million Jews, but we've already done that. Can't we go back to parenting and having sensible, loving, families?

I don't fit in with Jewish women that are my age. I try not to gossip and spread nasty words about others - besides it's strictly forbidden by Jewish law. I am not trivial, and I don't care how much my decrepit handbag cost. I don't get my nails done. I don't wear flashy clothes, but I do have some nice headscarves.

Where I live, the Jewish community is small. I am outnumbered by many Jewish people who don't know much about Judaism. I certainly don't agree with all of Jewish law, writings, and practices, but it's a good start for how to be a worthwhile person. I suppose it's similar to the guy with a huge cross tattoo who goes home and beats his wife. Hypocrites exist everywhere.

What worries me is complacency. We are losing our traditions. One woman was openly hostile when I said I didn't like blow-drying my hair on Sabbath, or the time when I suggested that some cheese being served didn't look like the kinds that contain kosher rennet.

I am far from perfect. I will not leave lights on just because it's considered kindling a fire; I can't justify the energy waste. I have blogged on Saturdays. I ate crab rangoon a few weeks ago. I just hate to see such a beautiful tradition turning into the stereotypes. I mean, we were pretty poor when Shakespeare was writing about our money hungry ways. Somehow that rumor got started and people ran with it. Jews have always gotten a bad rap. How did the blood of Christian children matzo myth ever get started? We aren't helping the situation. My princess compatriots who wear their cutie little diva outfits and carry "Juicy Angel" purses make me want to cry. I am not like you, and I wish you weren't like you either!

2 comments:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

I just dropped in from Charity Doc's website. (Where is that man? Where has he gone?) I really enjoy reading about your observations of the day to day things. I am up in the wee hours of the morning because I had been having an anxiety attack over changing my major. Your pictures made me relax and feel like all is right with the universe. I put some Brahms on and my panic attack has subsided. You will be a good doctor-- I can tell already!

I have a very large family. I am Orthodox Christian. (Think crosses with three bars, Greek, dolmades and dancing but I am of fresh Irish extraction and a convert.) If you saw us, I am not sure what you would do. My head covering is frequently falling off and to keep my kids in line I am known to cross my eyes, twitch my nose like Bewitched, juggle and fold my kids' napkins into funny hats. (My kids are fine-- their mother is the one with the behaviour issues!) I have really fallen away from my faith as of late with all my frustrations and insecurities. I don't relate to the other women in my church at all-- for many reasons. The traditions bind us, yet I find myself thinking badly about women in my church who are so backward that they don't use a certain form of birth control or something trivial or who observe certain traditions that we don't. They of course see me with my huge family going back to school and getting a career when they think I should be at home.

I feel and I think that what you say also suggests this, that many of us have fallen in to a "Burger King Religion" where we want to have G-d our way. (omitted the vowel for you-- my best friend is an orthodox Jew!) The traditions help define who we are as a faith or in your case, as a people. You can judge a book by it's cover-- as well as a person. How we choose to dress says something about us, and who we act says something about our insides. You will be a surgeon one day, but you will be able to say, "I can tell more about you inside by how you act and dress than by what I see when I operate on you." You will be one who treats people's bodies as well as their souls.

I will be a regular to your blog now. Thank you for not just todays entries but the others as well and your beautiful pictures!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful comment - thank you.

A Jewish prayer for you, because I though of this when you wrote:

Barukh attah adonai eloheinu melekh ha-olam, she-natan me-hokhmato l'vasar va-dam.

It means - Praised are you, Lord our G-d, ruler of the universe who has given of G-d's wisdom to flesh and blood.

It's prettier in Hebrew, but you get the idea. I'm thankful for meeting you, even if via the computer.