Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Who am I and why am I here?


Exam time. I had a biochemistry exam today. The class is interesting, but my professor is just awful. He dropped a lot of acid in the 70's (really, that's true) and he drinks too much. He can't hear well. He doesn't listen to questions before answering them. His test questions are vague, but he expects specific answers. I think I did all right, provided I was able to think like him. However, he had one question about the primary salt bridge in hemoglobin, and that was confusing, because there's a network of salt bridges and plenty of other forces contributing. . .who knows.

Tomorrow I'm carving my huge pumpkin. I'm going to carve, "welcome" into the mouth. I'm going to cut out the bottom, because I figure it's easier to get a candle in there without burning my hand off. I need to get some ideas for a good nose.

So I'm filling out tons of applications. I'm starting to get the impression that I am wholly average - that's kind of scary. What if I don't get in? I'm wicked creative (or so I'm told), but I don't know if that counts for much in medical school. Maybe somebody will see the whole me and decide that I'm in some way special and worthy. A lot of schools ask for a photo. Is it okay to submit my favorite picture of me playing my cello?

Tomorrow I have a pap smear. Yeah. I know you wanted that information. I'm going to a new doctor, and she sounds very good. Please be gentle.

Well, I'm going once again on a few hours of sleep. Though I seem to be able to keep going and going, I think it's time to get ready for bed.

2 comments:

DC Med Student said...

Ummm...TMI, Anne. ;o)

Don't worry about feeling average. I have a strong suspicion that you don't give yourself enough credit. Sounds to me like you're pretty unique, and that should come out in your essays. Just be yourself -- your best self -- and things will work out.

Good luck on that biochem exam!

Oh, and as for the photo, some are pretty specific about a what the photo should be (size, headshot, etc.). If you're not sure, call and ask the school before sending the photo with your secondary.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

While I am not a medical school person, think pageant program. The cello distracts from your face. Head and shoulders shot.

When you pose, lean into the camera and look at the photographer. It's a "may I help you?" smile. Tell the photographer that you want the picture to be engaging and to have the viewer want to talk to you. A commercial photographer will know what I am talking about.

There is nothing average about you. They want to see your whole self and will be looking for that. I just have a feeling about you and you will kick ass. You are solid.

As for the pumpkin-- I think you are a genius. Why didn't I think of that several years before? One of my sisters caught her sleeve on fire lighting the damned thing!