Welcome

Sometimes we just need a comfortable spot to stop and put up our feet. This is mine. Enjoy.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Surgeon


I want to be a surgeon. I've often wondered what makes a good surgeon? I heard about a hand surgeon that had OCD - not literally - but he would line up his pencils, a certain number, freshly sharpened (in a very specific way), in a certain location on his desk. Supposedly he did this with everything. He liked everything lined up, in a certain way, in a certain location. He did not deviate from his routine.

If this makes for a great surgeon, I'm sunk. Yes, I like things in certain ways, but I've got nothing on him.

What about the swash-buckler? I met him once when I was observing orthopedic surgeons. He swore the whole time and called everyone "Buddy." He pulled, he tugged, he swore some more. He demanded. He swore some more. And when it came time for the X-ray, damn-it if that leg wasn't perfectly straight. He did a little "end-zone" dance, and started closing up. He swore some more. He wondered why a "nice girl" like me would want to do this. He swore a bit more. He said I should just keep on playing my cello, because this job totally sucks.

If this makes for a good surgeon, I'm in trouble. I have quite a temper when pushed to my absolute limits, but never like that. Though I do cuss too much. . .

What about the old man who just smiled his way through life? He was so happy. Everyone is wonderful. The long hours and being on-call are just part of this great life. He had a big family and a stay-at-home wife. The kids were all brilliant and well-adjusted. His entire family, many brothers and sisters, were all physicians. He claimed that he wasn't that smart, but when I asked him about his education he said he finished his chemistry degree after two years having graduated early from high school. . .

I definitely don't smile all of the time. Not everything is perfectly great to me. I hate waiting in long lines. I most certainly am not as smart as he was.

Okay, let's analyze the women in surgery. Oh no, I'm in trouble. I've met several and very few were happy. Most were tired and fed-up. One missed her kid's first day of school, and she was totally bummed. Another was more man than most men I've met - she was rather happy in this profession. I imagine she threw rocks at kittens as a child. . .

I'm definitely a strong woman. I'm not a bleeding heart. I don't cry easily, but sometimes I shed a few tears.

I've heard horror stories about how awful men in surgery are to women who are also going into surgery. Really guys, we don't need much, but sometimes we do need someone to just nod their head, say, "I'm sorry," give us a hug, and send us on our way. I don't like being teased. I guess I'm a pretty serious girl, but I hear that men in surgery tease each other almost constantly. Hmm. . .maybe a back-kick to the groin might help boost my position in the guy-o-sphere.

However, most of my friends are men. Okay, I honestly have only one girl-friend. I don't care about most things women do; this has never earned me many points during a gossip-fest. I prefer working with men - they tend to get the job done and whine very little - my kind of people.

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and find out. In the meantime, could the MCAT people please hurry-up. You're killing me!

6 comments:

Sid Schwab said...

I wish I knew. The personality types certainly cover a wide spectrum; although painfully shy isn't well-represented. I think about it out loud in my blog, and haven't really come up with a useful answer. Willingness to work hard? Check. Ability to think "digitally?" Yes. Quick thinking? Definitely. A curious combination of patience and impatience; meaning, perfer getting answers, but willing to stick with a difficult situation and not take short-cuts. And not excessive fear of having your work out in front for all to see. Curiously, I know several surgeons who are devoted musicians. Haven't thought about the connections, but it would seem to bode well for you.

Sid Schwab said...

PS: perfer=prefer. Also, the perfomance aspect might be a part of the music/surgery connection. And, come to think of it, I have written some about the "music" of an operation well-done, with all the parts in perfect harmony. Ballet. Artistry. To appreciate the beauty of one is to understand the beauty of all.

Jeffrey Parks MD FACS said...

To be a surgeon:
1. Dedication
2. Persistence
3. Honest self-appraisal, the ability to admit error
4. Work ethic
5. Humility
6. Decisiveness

As far as technical skills go, a common surgical dogma is "anyone can learn to operate, the tough part is managing the complications." There is some truth to this. However, as we advance into the laparoscopic era, I think some people have "it" and some don't. You have to be able to think spatially and in three dimensions. Rigid, dogmatic treatment of an operation will get you into trouble. You have to be creative, when the situation calls for it.

As for the rise of women surgeons/ Overall it's great, I think. Some of the best and most dedicated residents in my class were females. One became a transplant surgeon at Mayo, in fact. You have to be honest with yourself, though. Do you want kids? Do you want to be around them during the formative years? This may sound sexist and controversial but I don't think it's fair to deprive someone else of a residency slot if your plans are to be part-time surgeon, doing a few breast cases here and there.

Bongi said...

if i could add something without the correct grammar. i can't think of anything better to be that a surgeon (general of course). having said that, i think you need to clarify why you want to be a surgeon. if it's judt to cut. there are many parasurgical lines. urology, gynae, orthopaedics etc. the complete deal, in my opinion is general surgery. buckeye sums it up well. it is in fact not the cutting. the cutting is a small aspect in the end. the true art is all the rest. and that is why i am a surgeon.

Unknown said...

You guys are fabulous; thank you for the advice. Bongi, I forgive your grammar. I want to be a surgeon because the workings of the human body are endlessly fascinating, especially the visual/spatial aspects. I may not remember every disease I may study, but I will remember what structures look like and how they work together - I am a very visual and audial (yes, that's a word) person. I love working with people, and I love teaching, but I also need time to work by myself and be in charge. I like leading the show. I really like the idea of collaborating with people and then making it happen to the best of my ability. You're right Dr. Schwab, it is a lot like music.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and Dr. Buckeye - please don't ever worry about offending me. I'm not easily worked up. I far prefer honesty. No, I absolutely will not bring children into this world who will not see their mother and will have someone I don't really know caring for them. If my husband ever wants to take on that role I'd be thrilled. For now - my cats and my rats and my wonderful students fill that need.